Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blogging the Old-Fashioned Way


The definition of a blog is as follows:

Blog: an online diary, a personal chronological log of thoughts published on a Web page. Typically updated daily, blogs often reflect the personality of the author.

When I started writing my blog, the purpose was to share our life with friends and family who live far away from us. I never really gave a whole lot of thought to any other purpose. It has worked well in that regard.

My blog has also become a place where I can “vent out” some of my thoughts and feelings on such items as current events, politics, personal growth, etc. I recently read a little article online entitled “Blog Etiquette” and realized maybe I should be re-thinking those aspects of my blog.

The article pointed out that what goes out onto the Internet is here to stay. Forever. With printers and scanners, what you say in 2008 could very well follow you until 2088. And that can be scary.

However, I try my hardest to “think before I post”. And lucky for me, I have the added check of knowing, if nothing else, my Mother reads this blog. (Or at least the first few lines of each post) She serves as a sort of “built-in censor”. Because if I don’t want my Mother reading it, chances are it shouldn’t be in my blog.

I have read many a blog that violate this simple rule. There’s an entire underground blogging community out there of stay-at-home mom’s who blog every last detail of their lives. I have learned way more than I needed to about random SAHM’s sex lives, in-laws, exes, brushes with the law, etc. I cringe when I think of the information that they are putting out there falling into the wrong hands.

The funny thing about the Internet is that it mirrors real life in so many ways. Although it may feel like an anonymous, shielded environment, it isn’t.

Have you ever been sitting in a restaurant and started to gossip…only to check yourself before you get too far and do the “whisper-talk, peek over our shoulder and check out the other booths to make sure no one who knows anyone who knows anyone is nearby” move? (Don’t lie. You’ve all done it.)

Well, the Internet doesn’t have such a feature. It’s all in your mind. The connections between people are murky and you can never be aware everyone who may read your words. Who may be hurt or influenced by your decisions of what pictures to post, what details to share, what attitudes and beliefs may offend. You just don’t know.

On the other hand, I refuse to have my on-line life dictated by what other people may do, say or feel. I usually am a very open-minded person and I hope that I have developed an ability to listen to various opinions and thoughts and give them careful consideration if they are presented in a rational manner.

And yes, that’s a back-handed jab at Sarah Palin supporters. ;-)

Which brings me to my final point. When the personality of a blogger tends to be sarcastic or caustic, a lot can get lost in translation. This is my official, one-time-only apology for anyone I may offend with a misinterpreted phrase, comment or out right joke. If you ever question my real intent, just ask me. Chances are I can set the record straight and clear things up.

In the meantime, I am going to continue on my merry way. Blogging when and how I want to. But always keeping in mind, if I have anything nasty to say, say it near the end of the blog. Chances are by then my Mother has grown bored and moved on.

No comments: