Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Just Peachy!

Today, my mom and I "put up" (as they said in the olden days) 5 boxes of peaches. All day. For 7 hours. Just over 100 lbs. of peaches. Good God...

We had a good time, as we always do whenever we can together (and I mean "preserve" together...we "can" have fun all the time!). We even discussed how hard it must have been back in the days where women would can all day on a wood stove. While they took care of their 8 children. While pregnant. Still having to get lunch and dinner for their menfolk.

We have it so much easier...electricity, a stove, AC to keep us cool, TV to keep the kids out from under our feet, Mitch to bring us Taco Bell for lunch (thanks Mitch!), and a pizza man to deliver dinner because I am so tired from canning I can barely get this blog out. ;-)

With all of that, it is still backbreaking, sweaty, dangerous work. I had the bottom of a jar break on me and came really close to spilling boiling hot peaches and syrup all over me. Really, I could have died. It was a close call...

I am glad we did it though. I always am - and especially when I go out to the pantry this winter and pull out a jar of peaches to make a cobbler or a pie...I'll be grateful. And that's always a good feeling.






No comments: