Sunday, August 17, 2008

The "fruits" of our labor...

It finally happened. After months of eager anticipation, we harvested some zucchini from our garden! We have been checking daily on the progress of our garden, and at times, it felt as though we were never going to be able to harvest anything. But finally, there they were...4 little zucchini's which looked green enough and big enough to harvest.


We took the kids out this morning to pick them and they were so excited! They were looking at everything and ohhing and ahhing over it all. Tucker was finding all the tomato growth and yelling, "Look at how BIG they are! They're HUGE!"


Unfortunately, for the most part, they are still green too! Although in the last couple of days there seems to be some color finally starting on a couple of bunches of the cherry tomatoes. There is hope.


I made zucchini bread for breakfast this morning out of our meager harvest. It was, if I do say so myself, heavenly. The kids gobbled it up and asked for seconds. And I think, if I concentrated really hard, it did taste fresher...brighter...warmer...having been made with the "fruits of our labor". It really is an amazing process to see things progress from seeds to delicious bread.


If I had to guess, I would say that in a couple of weeks, we'll have tomatoes coming out of our ears...Lexi has already requested tomato soup. I'll be sure to keep everybody updated on how our crop does.


So far, we won't be "living off the land" anytime soon, but we made a big step forward in greening up our lives. And for that, I am grateful.





2 comments:

Dale Chumbley said...

So, when I stop by for some jam I can expect a slice of this waiting for me all buttered (fresh churned of course) up and ready to eat? Correct? ;?)

Gail said...

Ok, you are going to have to put out a cookbook for Christmas:)

Hairspray was a blast.

Your blog is looking great. Check out ours. I finally got the videos watch for a slide show next:) As soon as I get the 4 coats of paint in the guest bedroom. I hate painting!